This page serves as an entry point to the documentation of the Simile Widgets Timeline component.
For the moment, we're moving the pages at code.google without much editing. Then the useful bits from the old MIT wiki will be integrated. Any updates or modifications to the Timeline documentation should be done HERE.
Call for Help
We need your help to make this documentation better. If you have information or examples, please contribute.
This wiki still references images and examples from the MIT site. Almost all the content was migrated from that site. Overtime those artifacts will be migrated here as well.
Maybe many of these should be moved to http://www.simile-widgets.org/wiki/HowTo_Articles?
- The Basics, briefly how timelines work
- Timeline releases and access options
- How events are shown on a Timeline
- Getting started, a step by step tutorial
- Understanding Initialization - walk through of Timeline initialization and defaults
- Event Attributes and Data Formats -- Describes event attributes and how to load event sources using XML, JSON or SPARQL
- Common problems and solutions
Controlling Timeline Appearance and Behavior
- Creating Hotzones -- A Hotzone is a section of the Timeline with a different resolution, usually higher resolution. Depending on your project, an alternative is to enable mouse-wheel zooming.
- How to create and change the Themes
- Custom Event Click Handler - Using your own handler instead of showing a bubble
- Custom Detail display - Customizing the popup bubble
- Add a day label - Adding a day label with your month when your interval unit are days
- Mouse-wheel Scrolling and Zooming - Use the mouse-wheel to zoom your Timeline--an alternative to Hotzones
- Add Scrolling - Adding scrolling to your Timeline (scrollbar or vertical and horizontal scrolling)
- Custom Date Ranges - How to create additional date/time range units
- linux journal article -- good info on changing themes AND some good info on loading data
Timeline Client UI Ideas
The Timeline library is called by client software on your html page. Your client software can add additional User Interface (UI) features.
- Data stored in the Timeline file vs an external data file
- Loading external data file without a web server
- Load Events Dynamically
- use js Date() with JSON
- EditGrid - Convert an EditGrid spreadsheet to Timeline XML format
- Gnome Planner - Convert plans from the Gnome project management tool "Planner" to Timeline XML format
- Sharepoint Lists - Convert SharePoint List into Timeline XML format
- http://apassant.net/home/2006/07/rss2timeline/ - Display RSS feeds
- http://www.semanticweb.gr/SWEvents/timeline_ics.php?icsurl=http://www.semanticweb.gr/SWEvents/SWEvents.ics - Display an iCal (.ics) URL
- http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/cal_simile_sample.html Google Calendar - Display Google Calendar using JSON feed source
- http://code.google.com/p/timemap/ - Load JSON or KML onto both a google map and a timeline simultaneously
Timeline generators as a service
- http://www.mytimelines.net/ - Displays Atom, RDF and RSS feeds
- http://www.mytimelines.net/create-an-icalendar-timeline/ - Displays iCalendar files
- http://timeline.to/ - Universal Timeline Aggregator - Displays Atom and RSS feeds
Sites and Software incorporating Timelines
- TimeMap - Integrates Timeline with Google Maps
- http://mqlx.com/~david/parallax/ - search engine for freebase.org
- http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Timeline_format - Semantic MediaWiki
- http://jrochelle.googlepages.com/97g-timeline-about.html Google Spreadsheet - has a timeline gadget based on Timeline
- http://www.zotero.org/documentation/timelines - Zotero Firefox extension embeds Timeline
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-simile-timeline/ - Timeline integration with Wordpress
Language or Framework Support
- http://code.google.com/p/gwtsimiletimeline/ - GWT API library to support SIMILE Timeline within the GWT framework.
- http://code.google.com/p/similetimelinerailshelper/ - Rails helper
- http://project.dahukanna.net/tiddlywiki/timeline/sampletimeline220b5.html - TiddlyWiki Integration
- http://www.zkoss.org/smalltalks/timeline1/timeline1.dsp - integrated into ZK OOS
- http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/timeline-helper - integration with the CakePHP framework
- Wordpress plugin by freshlabs
- Drupal module
- Ether Painters
- Event Sources
- Event Painters
- See Similar_Tools